The expert’s top 5 advice on recycled materials in cans and bottlesPosted 2022-09-13
How to choose the right recycled material for the right product, in line with the brand? Markus Porath, Product and Development Manager at Emballator Mellerud, shares his best tips.
- Consider traceability. Is the packaging to be used for food or for contents classified as dangerous goods, ie UN marking? Consumer recycled plastic is almost impossible to trace, meaning that you in this case might consider a different material.
- Discover the opportunities! Even if consumer recycled material does not work for UN-classified packaging, it is perfect for various types of household chemicals – for example detergents and many types of oils that are not classified as dangerous goods.
- Recycled material in several layers. If you have a product that must meet the requirements of food approval, it may be possible to use consumer recycled plastic in a multi-layer construction with a barrier layer. However, consider that this type of solution is a challenge that requires a lot of work: therefore, it is wise to make a proper calculation of time and cost.
- Work with recycled industry material. Recycled material from the manufacturing industry might be a good option if you want to use recycled material in your blow-moulded packaging. Industries are often consistent in their use of materials, and the waste that is recycled is thus easy to track.
- Is the material finish important for the maintenance of your brand? Consumer recycled plastic may vary in shade and quality. This is good to know for everyone who considers the packaging as part of their brand; and why not see it as an opportunity?